Wednesday 19 December 2012

To An Oldie

Good Evening All, and I trust you are all well and have had a good day.
Thank you very much for popping in to read my blog and comment on my cards, I know that everyone is busy just now so I do think you are all marvellous to take the time to do it, and still find time to make cards, boxes, tags in fact all sorts of wonderful creations.

I am on a countdown till my holiday on Friday night and I can't wait to be finished at 9 o'clock.  Friday sees our Christmas Meal for our clients so we are full steam ahead preparing for that.  My self and my colleague Susan are cooking while the others are setting the tables and preparing the room, organising the entertainment, and anything else that needs doing.  We expect around 27 folk.  It's a good day but we are so whacked by the end of it, we can hardly stir ourselves to go home.  Anyway, we will all enjoy having almost 2 weeks off.

I managed a card for you today and it's for my son's birthday in January;
When I saw this LC stamp I immediately thought of using it for Damian's card as he has his own tortoise called Toby who is a little Horseshoe tortoise, and he is also fostering four others over the winter for his friend who has all sorts of wonderful beasties from boa constrictures to bearded dragons.  Nick is the man to whom, the Animal Service,( I've forgotton the name) go to when they have to take exotic animal from people who can't look after them, or, animal which have been brought into the country illegally. Nick is an authority on these kind of animals.
Anyway, the new tortoises are settle in the sun house where they are all cosy, and one of them is 130 years old.  This is such a sad story as he belonged to a very eldery lady who is 93  and now has had to go into a care home and she has not been allowed to keep Tank, yep that's his name.  Tank was brought home by this ladies father when he returned from one of the wars in the late 1800's and has been with the family since this lady was 6 years old, and Tank was a fair old age then.  She has grown up with this wee beastie and she was just in bits when she was told that Tank couldn't stay with her.  But Tank is in a good home, in summer he will go back to Nick and be out in the garden, and both Damian and Nick sneak him in a holdall to visit with his long time friend. Aren't we as a society just cruel at times with our elderly folk!

So, back to my card,  I've sued a LC stamp, sentiment and Promarkers to colour it,Matted on to hunkydory Adorable Scorable card, Background papers are freebies from Making Cards magazine, Hessian from The Ribbon Girl, Xcut dies and buttons from my stash.

So, there we are,  another card made which is thankfully not Christmasy.

I will bid you all good night, and hope to be seeing more of your creations tomorrow.

Kate x

I would like to enter this card into http://ilovepromarkers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/challenge-148-anything-but-square.html
and, http://www.littleclairesdesigns.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/little-claire-monthly-challenge-28.html 



10 comments:

Wendy Fraser said...

What a gorgeous card, such a lovely stamp, I haven't seen that one before. Thanks for joining us at I Love Promarkers xx

Patricia said...

Awww! Kate what a beautiful card, loving the layout and that sentiment is brilliant.
Also a fantastic story, love it all.

Patricia XX

pam said...

hi Kate, fabulous man card..great image & lovely colours. enjoyed your story, poor lady.. pam

Rita said...

What a lovely story Kate, my Mother had a tortoise too for 38 years and he was called Speedie. Your card is wonderful and I'm sure your son and his friend will love it. Enjoy yourself at the party. Hugs Rita xx

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous, love it. thank you for joining us at I ♥ Promarkers this week and good luck xx

Pop's Cards said...

Morning sweetie this is just gorgeous I so love the colours that you have chosen perfect, huggles pops x x x

Erika said...

Great card Kate, love the humour. That sentiment goes perfect with the tortoise.
Hugs Erika.

Hazel said...


Kate I thought I had left a comment on your blog the other day but no I hadn't . Just love the card and the story. Glad Your son and his friend take him to visit it must make that lady's day. I wish care homes would let the elderly have animals around, that's how my daughter came by her two cats when the owner had to go into a care home. Have a great Christmas. Hazel

Crafty Lark said...

Fantastic card Kate, love everything about it. xx Flora

jenny said...

Lovely card......Thanks for joining us at I Love Promarkers x

Jenny xx